Foster a Pit Bull!
Interested in Saving a Life?
Opening your home to a foster dog is a very valuable and rewarding way to contribute to Our Pack's goals and to help our pit bulls become and stay adoptable. Pit bulls, like any other canine, need lots of socializing, training, exercise, and love to stay emotionally stable. In a foster home, they can receive this care and attention and they are more likely to adjust to their forever homes with ease.
Fosters also offer the invaluable benefit of be able to do an on-going behavior assessment. This allows us to address any behavior issues early on so that the problem can be addressed in training before a behavior escalates to the point of being irremediable.
Positive training, with good leadership and good management, is what helps the pit bull become a breed ambassador. He is more likely to STAY in his new home after being fostered in a caring home committed to socialization, training, exercise, and love.
Foster Care Guidelines
This Foster Program is one way Our Pack is helping Pit Bulls do well in our communities.
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must have a flexible schedule to take your foster pit bull to routine healthcare exams, vaccinations, spay/neuter surgeries, or any other emergency that may come up.
- As a foster care person, you must be able to make a commitment to spend time socializing your foster pit bull in as many situations as possible. He will need to be around children, adults, crowds, and – as appropriate – other dogs as much as possible. See Socializing Your Pit Bull and Dog-Dog Introductions on how to introduce and socialize your foster Pit Bull safely.
- You will need to be aware of – and most importantly - you must report any behavior changes in your foster pit bull to your Foster Care Representative.
- A safe space must be provided for your foster pit bull: a room, or preferably a crate, where he can initially be separated from other resident animals. Your pit bull must always be separated from other resident animals and children when you are not available to supervise the interactions.
- Crates, blankets and toys will be provided by Our Pack, but we ask that the foster care person provide food.
If you are interested in fostering and agree to abide by these guidelines, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a Foster Application.